A mixer is a piece of equipment for mixing two audio signals together. Most DJs use a specially designed club mixer that features a crossfader.

Types of mixerEdit

===Club mixer===

A club mixer normally features a large number of channels with an assignable crossfader so that different sources (CD deck, turntable, etc.) can be all plugged in at once and mixed from

Scratch mixerEdit

A scratch mixer is typically one designed especially for turntablists to use, and features high grade faders in an open area so they can be manipulated without hitting other controls.

Studio mixerEdit

A studio mixer has a large number of channels and normally no crossfader; it is normally used for mixing individual instruments or microphones together, and will probably be used by radio DJs.

Parts of a mixerEdit


stuff happens. lol.

Crossfader adjustment

Hamster switchEdit

A hamster switch is one that switches the channel assignment on the crossfader instantly, making it useful for switching the mixer between turntablists who like to scratch with the fader being on different ends for cut-off, rather than re-connecting all the equipment. A hamster switch may be marked "hamster" or "reverse" on the mixer, and it derives the name from its inventor,  DJ Quest.


Up-fader adjustment


EQ is short for graphic equalizer. on most mixers the usual eq set up is a setting of three frequency ranges bass mid and treble however on some of the older mixers there is a fader instead of the newer rotary controls. also on lower budget mixers and some battle mixers there is only high and low controls. eq is also a way of making your scratching technique more unique.


Mic channelEdit


Master outEdit

Booth outEdit

Is where the monitor speakers are connected, and are usually marked on the mixer as booth, by a rotary knob which adjust the out put volume.

Cue/headphones outEdit

Internal effectsEdit

Servicing a mixerEdit

See full article: Servicing a mixer

Mixers can be serviced in a number of ways to extend their life, but the most common service applied to a mixer by a DJ is to the crossfader if it is sounding worn out; see article servicing a mixer for details.

See alsoEdit

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.